Monday, July 20, 2009

You think you're great just cos you live abroad?

While most Malaysians were still in shock over the death of the political secretary, a suicide bomber ran into the Marriot and Ritz to blow himself to pieces. And one of them apparently is a Malaysian.

A friend then posted a link on her FB. And another commented that she cannot remember when was the last time she heard anything good from Malaysia. Irked, I replied that I myself cannot remember the last time I heard anything good from the country she resides in now and calls home. To which her classic reply was "no news is good news".

What a load of bull.
You know what irks me? Not that the statement was clearly made with ignorance but because plenty of Malaysians who have taken residence in other countries are quick to point out this country's shortcomings.

Even a simple mention by a friend that "Malaysian men have no manners and <insert all other bad qualities possible>" sent my blood boiling. Yeah, we all know you married a westerner. Good on you. But I am sure your brother and your father will be upset to know you think that they are unworthy men. And I am sure, just because you do not know how to appreciate a Malaysian man, OR that Malaysian men do not find YOU attractive, all of them are scums of the universe.

Those of us who actually LIVE and WORK here, are entitled to throw insults, criticise, make fun of and laugh at the situation here because we are directly affected by it. Those who do not live here and are quick to judge, my question is, is the country you live in SO perfect? What are the problems there? No problems? That's nice. I didn't know an utopia existed. Now I do.

I am sorry you forget that Malaysia was the country you were born in. The country that provided you your basic education. The country that did not bar you from leaving it for you to pursue your dreams of marrying a foreigner/ succeeding in a career in a foreign land. The country that with all its shortcomings, you are still too petrified of losing your citizenship (for some weird reason) and the country which you actually originate from. Wherever you are now, you will NEVER, I repeat NEVER be their citizen. It will NEVER be your birthplace. You will ALWAYS remain an outsider.

While people in the country you call home, still hurl racist insults at you and look down on your race, you have ignorantly embraced them like they are your family.

Ignorance comes in many forms. Ignorance blanketed by arrogance is the worst.

I am not saying that I may not one day leave this country in search of different pastures, but at least I can say this for myself. I have worked here. I have tasted the system here. I have experienced the life here. And if I want to go over there and make comparisons, at least I have a basis. But then again I will not. Because at the end of the day, Nothing can change the fact that I am MALAYSIAN. And unlike you, I am not ashamed of it.

2 comments:

  1. bodohnya. whos that woman? when was the last time she heard good thing about malaysia?? like seriously?

    hello. hello. malaysia scored 2 against man. u. isnt that great? an underdog team scored 2 goals against the champs. huh.



    we got number 1 squash player nicol david, who is until now keeping the malaysia's flag flying high.

    apa lagi??

    babe, go and ask her to shove it up her ass with timun la.. haiyoh.. growing up with eating roti canai, nasi lemak, makan nasi kandar.. and now wanna kaypohh talking shit about her own country.


    tembak kepala sendiri la kalau mcmni.


    pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sini ramai orang luar.nak keluar mana2 pun risau.asyik kena tanya how much?how much?

    haih.

    kat mana2 pun sama je ada best tak best.tapi malaysia terbaik pasal makan lah..tempat lain tak boleh lawan. :)

    ReplyDelete