Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Can I ask you something personal?

Yesterday someone asked me if my parents were getting a divorce.

Then she followed it up with whether my mum was slapped by someone's wife.

I laughed when she asked that and she sternly told me it was a serious matter.

So I asked her why. After all, it was not true.

She then swiftly asks me "How you know it's not true?"

WTF?
(This is essentially the problem of coming from a small town. Everybody wants to have their share of goss.)

Seriously, if my parents were divorced, I think I'd be the first few to know. The other few being my siblings.

And secondly, why should I have to explain whether my parents are divorced or not, or whether my mother's face met with someone else's palm when these are nothing but nasty untrue rumours?

Sheesh, but on a side note.... DAMN my parents are scandalous.

Well you know what they say, you are a nobody till somebody talks about you.

Right?

I myself have been at the receiving end of nasty rumours. But the best has to be that while I was in boarding school, it was rumoured that I hid my bf in the room.

The small cubicle that is our room could fit a single mattress, a small study table and a two door cupboard, but somehow, I could cram an Indian bf into that small space of mine. (HAH! Take that for maximizing space!)

Then there is the I broke up the Bf's previous relationship.

That I am dating a lawyer. (God forbid)

That I am lesbian. (and I don't know about it...yet)

After breaking up with the ex, I cried and wanted to crawl back to him.

That I was easy and had a big welcome sign between my legs.

That I hate lawyers.

Oh wait, the last one is true.

So, if you've ever been on the receiving end of nasty rumours, the best thing one can do is to merely laugh it off. After all, someone somewhere out there actually took time to think of you, and make up a story about you.

Makes me proud to be thought of.

No comments:

Post a Comment