Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What's a lady doing in a criminal court?

For the umpteenth time, yes, I do criminal law.

Yes, it's true.

It is as true and as real as the colour of my skin. (No, I do not bleach it with whitening skin care.)

And for the umpteenth time, please do try to close your gaping mouth when I say "yes, our firm does 100% criminal cases" because I know that gape (which I am hoping beyond hope a fly or any other insect will find its way inside) it's your way of telling me you do not believe that I did not accidentally wander into a Criminal Court and that I am actually there for a reason.

Please.

No more " YOU do criminal law?"

No more "Only criminal law?"

And lastly, cut the "I've never seen a lady lawyer in a criminal court before."

Because frankly. that is BS. There are so many female lawyers and Prosecutors doing their thing in criminal courts. I met one just two days ago in the Court of Appeal and her oratory skills were so fantastic, even I was convinced beyond doubt that the Appellant meant to kill the little girl.

As if it wasn't bad enough that Mr. I-do-not-believe-you-do-criminal-law scoffed at the idea that I chose to be in this field, he asked if I have handled any cases of my own.
I replied I was relatively new in the field and was still learning to which he scoffed AGAIN and said "You either have it or you don't. You don't need so much time to learn."

Well EXCUSE ME Mr. I am so great watch me puff out my chest, I happen to LIKE to learn the ropes before I tell my clients I am prepared to defend them. Perhaps your cases involve small petty crimes. Perhaps, if you screw up, all they may have to do is, pay a small fine, or sit in jail for a few months.

For the cases my firm handles, if I screw up, they go in for minimum 5 years and a mandatory whipping sentence. And also, if I screw up, they may be fined up to RM1 to 10 million and jailed for two years. And if I screw up, some of them may be sent to jail for the rest of their lives or be hanged. So, I take that big risk just because I want to show the world "I have it" ? Yes, I may be a slow learner but I heed my boss's advice. "Take your time. Do not be in a rush."

I like that advice. And I shall keep it in mind the next time I talk to someone like you.

1 comment:

  1. i wish i have the guts to do what ur doing. dulu kan baca John Grisham so was influencedlaa.. then reality hit and i found that i don't have that much courage to do criminal law. heh.

    ReplyDelete