Monday, August 3, 2009

If you look down on me, does that make you greater?

I don't really remember what exactly that the BF and I were talking about last Friday when we were on the way to a birthday party, but he did relate a conversation he had with a captain that he was flying with just the day before.

Let's call this Captain N.

Capt N: Ish Ish, apalah nak jadi dengan kaum Melayu sekarang ni. Bartending Competition pun mereka boleh join dan menang! * said while reading an article in the newspaper and shaking his head disapprovingly*

Perplexed, I asked the BF, SO? He is entitled to his opinion. Much so when it is someone from his own race.

The BF then looks me in the eye, all serious, and said this :-

"This is the man who is married, but fools around with scores of flight attendants. This is the man who goes for holiday with his wife, and tells them that the boys are going to do "something else" besides shopping. And the something else is visiting prostitutes. This is the man who smokes and drinks.
A smoking, drinking womanizer is judging a man who is making an honest living? Who is to say this malay boy DRINKS? He might merely by making the drinks, as a job. He doesn't necessarily consume alcohol."

Classic case of "jaga tepi kain orang".

I told the BF, who was clearly agitated (he isn't a big fan of the captain), that people always find the need to look down on others or judge others. Because this made them feel better about themselves. If I point out your flaws, this would instantly make me a better Muslim/ Christian/ insert any other religion.

I have plenty of friends who approached me when I was 13 and told me that if I were not a Christian, I would burn in hell. And when I told my mother that, she told me to tell them "its okay. I would rather burn in hell for not being Christian, then stuck in heaven with someone like you!"

Amen to that.

2 comments:

  1. if you watch gubra by yasmin ahmad, you'll learn a story about a religious man living near a brothel and befriending with his neighbours (2 women) who are actually prostitutes. this film made a huge controversy in the local film making industry.


    what do i learn from here ?


    never judge people by their career. yes its true that in islam, it's a sin to involve in pre-marital sex, but islam doesnt teach us to be bias to people according to what they make out of a living.


    we're all merely ordinary humans and therefore we are no one and have no authority to judge people. sins and deeds ... this is between the humans and god.


    i have a friend (A) who sleep with a datuk just to pay her college bills and feed her family at kampung.

    i also know a friend (B) who's actually rich but gives 'services' to the men during her free times. why? because the parents never left her pocket money if they go outstation.


    i am still a friend of them until today :) as long as they dont give me a fuss and headaches, i dont see any point/reasons to not be friends with them.


    "if I were not a Christian, I would burn in hell" <--- i selalu dgr my muslim friends cakap ... "kalau kau tak masuk islam, kau masuk neraka weh"


    hahahaha. i find it funny, but menjengkelkan at the same time. and i think any people who cakap such remark, diaorang belum matang and cukup wise.


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We choose our friends. Once we've done so, we love them unconditionally la kan?:) I know I do.

    ReplyDelete