Friday, May 29, 2009

Why are we so quick to judge?

A while ago, my firm welcomed a new client.

As I was driving him to the Commissioner of Oath's office, he asked me:-

"When do you plan to be a lawyer?"

Perplexed by his question, I went "HUH?"

He repeated the question but this time followed it up with " Do you actually PLAN to be one?"

I looked him in the eye, laughed and said " Mr. A, I AM a lawyer. I have been one for the past few years."

He thought I was a clerk in the firm.

-_-

Seriously.

But it got me thinking about how we are quick to judge others. When we see somebody, we judge them by their looks, their jobs, their friends and their lives.

When friends/acquaintances found out I walked away from a 7 yr relationship, many were quick to assume it was because I had found somebody else.

When high school friends of yesteryear found out my best friend was JoL, many assumed we were two party girls who had no morals and no ethics.

When some friends found out I was dating a pilot, many assumed I was dating him for his money. (it's not JUST his money ok, it's for his good looks and hot body too!*ahem*)

And to prove my point on how people can be judgmental:-





And these are snippets of some of the comments of the picture above:-


(dahlah his english is so bad,he wants to be judgmental)



Dudes. You don't even KNOW them. Much less be in the position to judge them.

3 comments:

  1. true. very true. i think ini mmg lumrah sesetengah manusia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its human nature to judge first and ask later. But still, tak ker carik problem by posing with a bottle of JD, albeit secara tak sengaja..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Syazsy: Saya rasa bukan sesetengah la. Nowadays many people are WAY too judgmental!

    all about beca: tsk tsk! Judgemental!;D dia tak posing dengan JD bottle la, dia posing dengan kawan dia! Tak nampak dia pegang the bottle pun!

    ReplyDelete