Friday, December 14, 2012

Everyone assumes I am an undercover tai tai.

I am not sure why people always assume I earn big bucks or that I am high maintenance.

I'm not sure why they think so. Because it sure as hell is not true.

I don't strut around like others with their Chanel handbags and Ferragamo shoes. Or publish photos of their prized possessions of branded bags and Tiffany charms. And their never ending trips to half way across the world, their indulgent purchases and their beautiful clothes.

That has never been me.

I've always been the one who does not own a hair dryer.  Much less use one.
My compact face powder thing ran out after 6 years, I officially bought a new one 3 months ago.
My most expensive pair of shoes were bought for my wedding. They are now safely kept in the shoe box for fear of ruining it.
I cut my hair every 6 months when I begin to resemble a lion. A messy, unkempt one.
I buy my clothes mainly from my hometown because things are WAY cheaper there and even if my jeans don't yell ZARA or 7 for Mankind, who cares? It fits me well.

My fear in life has never been about not having enough material possessions. It has never been about what bags, shoes, clothes or jewellery I have.
It has always been about security.

The first thing I ever bought with my first paycheck was life and medical insurance. From there, I moved on to buying my first property. It sucked a big chunk of my income but it was and still is for a good cause. The value of my first home has gone up about 40% since 2005. Not sure how Chanel bags will have that possibility of appreciation of value.

I've never been into buying big cars, or the latest gadgets or going to the latest night clubs to see and be seen.

That has never been me.

Three years ago I decided it was time I took up my Masters in Law. And that sucked up another big chunk of my income. People laugh at me and call me stupid for spending the money and the time for something people in the legal circle do not care for anyway.

But that is my security in the future should I decide I no longer want to be in practice. I can teach, I can lecture, I can be in academics.
It has always been about security.

The security of being able to EARN.
The security of earning and being able to SAVE.

The security of having enough savings and never having to worry about money.

I didn't grow up rich. Money has always been a constant worry for me. It will always be a source of worry for me.

My anxiety over money has tripled over these two months now that I am embarking on this whole running my own firm thing.
Scrap that, its has not tripled, it gazillioned (if there is such a word).

So please, for those who come up to me and say, "Oh you married a pilot, why do you have to worry about money? You should stop working!"

I married a pilot, I didn't marry a person who owns an airline.

It means he still earns an income, and like everyone who earns an income, there may come a day where they may not be able to command that income or stop earning altogether.

Never put all your eggs in one basket.  Besides, I am fully capable of earning my own money.
So if he gives me money, and I still have my own money, that can only mean I have MORE MONEY.

Sounds good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment